Frequently Asked Questions

Anyone who drives a taxi for profit, whether it's a private hire vehicle like a minicab or a public hire car such as a black hackney carriage, will need specific taxi insurance

Taxi insurance is likely to be more expensive than standard car insurance because insurers perceive there to be a higher risk of an accident and premiums will be priced accordingly.

Private hire vehicles are minicab-type vehicles that can only be pre-booked and can't be hailed at a taxi rank or on the street.

Public hire vehicles are black cabs, hackney carriages and other vehicles that are licensed by the council to pick up fares on the street and at taxi ranks.

These two categories have different levels of risk involved, but how much you pay for your policy is more likely to depend on factors like your age, location and annual mileage.

As well as the usual third party only, third party fire and theft and comprehensive options, the main choices are between a named driver policy, a policy-only deal or an all-driver policy.

A named driver policy may suit individual drivers who only need cover for themselves and their vehicle.

A policy-only option might be cost effective, but if you own a fleet or need to add several drivers, an all-driver policy could give better value.

As with standard car insurance, driving with care and building up a no-claims history will help you find cheaper deals, and you should always shop around.

Some insurers will also discount for effective security measures, including those only normally found on taxis, such as CCTV cameras.

This will depend where you're operating. Some councils require taxi drivers to have a DVSA qualification to operate in their area, so when you compare quotes you'll be asked if you have this.

If you want to use your taxi when you're not working you need to check your insurance covers personal as well as business use.

We insure Black cabs, saloons, MPVs and Minibuses. We can cover almost any type of vehicle, whether for private hire, public hire or chauffeurs.

Yes, we do offer taxi fleet insurance. If you own a fleet of taxis, we’ll happily insure every one of them for you.

Yes, you can get your spouse insured on your taxi, but first make sure your licensing authority allows this or that your partner is a licensed private or public hire driver. If they are not, they may be unable to drive your taxi.

We understand that our customers financial circumstances may change, please contact us to discuss how we can help.